Orthodontics for Children
While there is no exact age for children to begin orthodontic treatment, our practice follows the American Association of Orthodontists guidlines by recommending an orthodontic screening around age seven.
By this age, most children have a mix of baby teeth and adult teeth, making it easier for the orthodontist to diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems sooner and without surgery.
Early treatment allows your orthodontist to:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child's jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct thumb sucking and help improve minor speech problems
For parents, it's not always easy to know if your child may need orthodontic treatment.
Here are a few things to look for that may mean your child needs to see an orthodontist:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- A hard time chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or do not come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
- Crowded front teeth around age seven or eight
Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation. Early treatment now will give your child a healthy, beautiful smile for the future.
Orthodontics for Teens
Braces, retainers, and everything else that you want to know about orthodontics!
You've just heard the three words that every teen dreads: “YOU NEED BRACES!”
Braces! What now?
Don't worry! Braces aren't nearly as scary as you may think. In fact, braces today come in a variety of styles, materials, and colors, making life with braces much easier, more comfortable, and even more stylish than in the past.
How long will I have to wear braces?
The amount of time it takes to treat your smile with braces depends on three key factors:
- Early treatment — Early treatment allows orthodontists to monitor the growth of the jaw and recommend further orthodontic treatment if it becomes necessary. Not everybody receives early orthodontic treatment; in some cases it may be recommended that a patient wait to receive treatment.
- What needs correction — The amount of treatment needed to correct a problem will determine how long the process takes. Different patients react to treatments differently. While it may take one patient only 12 months to complete treatment, it may take another patient 24 months. Treatment times can vary depending on how quickly your body responds and how much work is needed to give you the show-stopping smile you expect.
- YOU! — Your willingness to use the appliances your orthodontist gives you plays a major role in the length of time it takes to complete your treatment. Always remember to take care of your braces and appliances; this truly will help make your treatment shorter!
Braces Your Way!
Our practice offers a variety of braces, types and styles, to choose from. Some common options include:
- Ceramic braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
Orthodontic braces are a big part of life for many people your age. While braces may have had a bad reputation in the past, today's braces make it easy to look good and feel good! Please contact our practice to schedule your next orthodontic checkup.
Orthodontics for Adults
Straighter Teeth at Any Age: Adult Treatment Options
Investing in a smile makeover has life-changing results for adults. Drs. Callahan, Dr. Flanagan, Dr. Smith, and Dr. Stock have seen these outcomes firsthand. As a premier orthodontist in North Syracuse, our office specializes in providing treatment to patients of all ages. We know that crooked tooth alignment can be altered at any stage of life, and we want to help you on your journey toward a healthy, straight smile.
Benefits of Adult Orthodontic Treatment
Did you know that one in every five orthodontic patients is an adult? As more adults realize the benefits that treatment can provide, they are taking steps toward changing their lives in a positive manner. Here are some of the benefits our adult orthodontic patients may see with treatment:
- A beautiful, aesthetic smile that occurs as a result of straight teeth alignment
- The ability to correct any relapses from previous orthodontic treatment. This may be due to lack of long-term retainer usage.
- An improved ability to properly brush and floss teeth
- The creation of a more comfortable bite and ease when chewing
- Being able to address missing teeth
- The ability to close off gaps and spaces in between teeth
Some adults may worry that orthodontic treatment will cause pain and require excessive visits to the orthodontist. We carefully ensure our patients are as comfortable as possible. We understand treatment may cause minor discomfort, but your relief and satisfaction are our utmost concern. We utilize the latest technologies and state-of-the-art equipment to greatly increase patient comfort as well as shorten the duration of treatment and the frequency of visits.
We offer a wide variety of treatment methods for adults, including traditional metal braces and clear aligners. Our team of professional orthodontists can help determine the best course of treatment for your particular situation. The initial consultation allows you to express your goals and concerns, and our doctors do their best to ensure all your needs are met.
Contact Us Today
To get started on your journey toward a straight, beautiful smile, visit us today. We look forward to helping you achieve excellent results. Call today at 315-458-0020.